Welcome

Hi, welcome to my blog. I trust you will find this helpful and encouraging.

Your appropriate comments are welcome. Look for instructions in the Right column below.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

October 12 -- Who Are You ? -- Mississauga

Good Morning, I have my first cup of coffee at my elbow.  I am surrounded by three busy healthy boys getting ready for their day.  Yesterday was a lovely day.  Today's sunrise looks like today will be another nice day.  I was hopeful that I would receive my telephone yesterday; alas, the Canadian customs officials treated my phone like it was being imported into the country; they thought I should pay CAN$184.22 as duty and taxes.  When I objected FedEx decided they needed to delay giving me my phone until the matter is resolved.  You can imagine how lonely I feel today because I cannot yet receive your calls.  Praise God, this too shall come to an end -- hopefully very soon.

As we ran a number of errands yesterday, James and I had the opportunity to chat for hours catching up on the current events of each other.  As I look around at the Body of Christ I notice that in the "First World" countries we have convinced ourselves that we do not have time to just "be" together.  We seem to only be able to spend time together when we are doing something.  This is an age old struggle between our need to do things balanced against our spiritual need to be. 

The struggle becomes particularly dangerous for us when we begin to find our identity in what we do instead of finding our identity in who we are.  Equally dangerous, if not more so, is when we find our identity in who other people say or think we are.

Who are you ?

Notice Jesus.  As early as age 12 (and perhaps years earlier) He knew His own identity.  When in the temple questioning the elders He self-identified as the Father's Son.  He was about His Father's business.  Years later in conversation with His disciples, He helped them clearly distinguish between His identity in the thinking of other people and His identity as revealed by Father God.  In that conversation He made clear to us that His true identity was not a matter of reason or logic or public opinion polling.  His identity came to Peter by revelation from the Father.

We are sent into the World just as He was sent into the World.  Who does Papa God reveal you to be ?

His, thus Yours,
  Stuart

2 comments:

Carl J. Fielstra, J.D. said...

We live in a business card culture.

You may recall from our years in Washington, introductions seemed to be made with two components, i.e., "Hello, I'd like to introduce ----------(name). He/ She is ----------(what they do or who they know).

A elderly Christian M.D. I once interviewed for a daily radio program gave an interesting perspective on identity. I asked him "who you are is stated in your title. You are Doctor ------. But, who are YOU?"

His response was beautiful. "I am a child of God who happens to be a husband, father, and Medical Doctor." He went on to explain that his wife had already passed and his children were grown and independent of him. He also said due to his age (he was in his eighties), he had retired from his medical practice. He then said, I still remain a child of God, and that will never change.

I will never forget this man's wise response. From his vantage point in his earthly sojourn he had settled on what was true and lasting. In sum, he determined that titles, achievements, and all other identifiers were subordinate to being a Child of God.

That too is my true identification, "Carl J. Fielstra, Child of Almighty God."

Grace said...

This is just what Papa has been teaching me. I love this quote: " Define yourself radically as one Beloved by God. This is the true self. Every other is an illusion." -Brennan Manning "Abba's Child"
Thanks for sharing!! Miss you!

Post a Comment

Your comments are very valuable to the Bride and to me.