Welcome

Hi, welcome to my blog. I trust you will find this helpful and encouraging.

Your appropriate comments are welcome. Look for instructions in the Right column below.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Why Won't He Talk to Me ?

A very wise and precious friend asked an important question recently:

I'm glad for those of you who are receiving revelation. OK, I'm going to be brutally honest, and very vulnerable. My hope is if there is any response, it would not be condemning or "preachy".   Lately it's been very quiet. He has given so little revelation, which is better than none, to be sure. Things between God and I have been painful for several months actually. It's hard to go back to Him for fellowship when I feel He's let me down time and again.  What I have heard are the slightest whispers, which I cling to.  Yes, He takes us through different seasons in our relationship with Him, and I have seen a few unique styles of communication as He has matured me.  I'm sure that this is another maturing process even still.  But it's still so very painful...
How do you handle no response at all to your questions?

At the risk of being obnoxious, I gave my friend this answer.
I am so delighted that you know that you are loved enough that you can take the risk of being honest. What is especially nice is that it is clear that you seek not only to be honest with us but also honest with yourself. I know what you mean as you write. I have also been there. My term was "the silence is deafening." Meaning to me I could hear so little I sometimes thought I had lost my ability to hear. I would like very much to have a nice spiritual pill that I could give you to make it all feel better. But, I know as much as you would like to feel better, it is infinitely more important to you that you be restored to clear and steady communications with Papa God.

What I was forced to learn during those periods in my life cannot all be put into words. But, the one thing that helped me to endure the process is this. The desert is God's training, testing, and purifying arena. There are a couple of truths about the desert. First, no matter which way you look it all looks the same. So during the desert times one feels like there is no clear direction to go. The second, no matter how much stuff you brought out into the desert with you, you do not have enough to survive until you get to the other side. Thus, you must have grace just to survive.

One thing about God is also important to our desert tourism. God has never brought a person into the desert that He did not also carry him through to the other side.

I have talked with Papa about you. He is very clear that He will carry you through this time. And, He tells me the time will come when you will look back and give thanks for this season.

You have heard enough from Him in the past to know He is absolutely committed to you. He has plans for you. Plans for good. You have been called and anointed to some specific purposes as you serve the sons of God in the community.

I know it is tough. Hang in there. We will be asking Father to teach you gently.
I thought you also might like to hear this response.

3 comments:

Sarita Hartz said...

Thanks Stu, this was a really encouraging word! Miss you!

Glenn said...

Stu, this is great. I like your quote "God has never brought a person into the desert that He did not also carry him through to the other side". I have been reminding myself with something more immediate, along the lines of "God never brings you to the cliff to fling you off".

It is in seasons of growth that I find God becomes very quiet. Another way of looking at the desert is an intentional season of maturing. When you raise your children, you're always there to offer advice and assistance. But at some point, for them to mature, you have to let them encounter the world without your guidance.

God transforms us from the inside out - so one cannot see the transformation's progress simply by external observation (ie how much you pray, attend church, etc). Many times I have asked God - why didn't you tell me what to do? His answer was - I wanted to see what you would do with what I have already taught you.

This happens at first in situations that seem relatively cut and dried. But as I have gotten older, it happens in more and more difficult, ambiguous situations. Situations just like the desert, where there are no clear landmarks, no clear watering holes, no clear directions.

I pray for everyone today who reads this, that you would recognize the progress of your own maturity (by His internal transformation) when you are in these situations. I know I need that encouragement myself :)

Stuart said...

Great insight Glenn. My experience has only been slightly different. With me Father seems more interested in MY seeing how I will handle things than He is concerned about His seeing.

Post a Comment

Your comments are very valuable to the Bride and to me.