Welcome

Hi, welcome to my blog. I trust you will find this helpful and encouraging.

Your appropriate comments are welcome. Look for instructions in the Right column below.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Need a Job ?

Folks I know have told me they do not like reading the Book of Job (The one just before Psalms).  But, I have been reading it together with my beloved Joy in the mornings.  But I am finding the read fascinating.

In context remember that scholars universally agree that this is the oldest writing contained in the Bible.  It was written long before the writings of Moses (The Torah, the first 5 books) were known to mankind.

Nevertheless, the revelations contained there are indeed timeless.  Consider the dialogue between Job and his three "friends".  Even the quickest scan makes apparent that the man of God is being repeatedly attacked by men who want to change him by convincing him that God is displeased with him.  This ubiquitous conflict continues as a major tool of preachers today who seek to manipulate the congregants through fear or guilt.


Consider his exclamation in Chapter 19. Here at the very deepest part of his painful trials he explains to his "friends":

25"As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives,
And at the last He will take His stand on the earth.
26"Even after my skin is destroyed,
Yet from my flesh I shall see God;
27Whom I myself shall behold,
And whom my eyes will see and not another.

I know many wealthy comfortable "Christians" today who could not and would not make such a statement.

Or consider his commitment in 13:15:

 15 Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him;
       I will surely defend my ways to his face.

Do you also tire of folks who are God's men as long as things are going well; but when things get rough they turn to the ways of their flesh to find comfort.

Try a read through Job soon and see how awesome our God has been known to be through out the ages past.

1 comments:

Hephzibah said...

Wow! Fascinating! I think I will read Job.

Post a Comment

Your comments are very valuable to the Bride and to me.